Huge success with viral marketing
With its latest commercial, ‘The Epic Split’, Volvo Trucks proves that an unconventional take on B2B marketing works. The commercial has spread all over the world and is already after just four weeks the most watched automotive commercial on Youtube ever.
Since the launch of ‘The Epic Split’ on Youtube on November 14, the commercial has been viewed more than 59 million times. It has spread through social media and news media, been the subject of thousands of conversations online and offline and even become a phenomenon in itself, spurring spoofs from both celebrities and others.
“The response is quite overwhelming. Sure, we were hoping for a success, but we didn’t expect it to be this big or come this fast. After all, ‘The Epic Split’ is a truck commercial,” says Per Nilsson, PR Director for the Volvo Trucks brand.
Success in numbers
‘The Epic Split’ has not only become the most viewed automotive commercial on Youtube ever. The response in the first four weeks can be summarized in numbers.*
‘The Epic Split’ and the story about it has:
• been shared over 6 million times on social networks.
• over 10 million impressions on Google.com.
• received extensive media coverage from all over the world: the commercial has been the subject of approximately 20,000 editorial pieces online so far.
• an estimated earned media value of €70 million.
Since Autumn 2012, Volvo Trucks has released six entertaining films to showcase innovations in the five new trucks released during the same period. ‘The Epic Split’, a film that highlights the precision and stability of Volvo Dynamic Steering, is the biggest success among the films so far.
* Statistics and approximation from Be On, AOL Networks’ branded video syndication business who distributed the campaign